Yes, you read that title right. These are some seriously amped up snickerdoodles. Because they are made with browned butter and lots of brown sugar, they are much crunchier and flavorful than traditional snickerdoodles. I also added caramel bits to the dough and salt to the rolling mixture to incorporate that delicious salted caramel flavor into the cookie. It’s basically a one-way ticket to Flavor Town.
I am not sure there is any point during the year that I wouldn’t want to eat these cookies, but they are especially perfect in the fall. Warm up a mug of apple cider and grab a few of these cookies, and you have yourself a perfect night.
BROWN BUTTER AND SALTED CARAMEL SNICKERDOODLES
adapted from The Hub of Our Home
1 c. butter
2 1/2 c. flour
2 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/4 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. sugar
1 egg plus 1 egg yolk
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 bag Kraft caramel bits
1/2 c. sugar
2 T. cinnamon
1 T . salt
1. Brown the butter in a medium sauce pan.
2. Combine flour, cream of tartar, soda, cinnamon and salt.
3. Cream butter and sugars.
4. Stir in egg, egg yolk and vanilla.
5. Add dry ingredients and caramel bits and mix.
6. Cover dough and chill for several hours.
7. Mix together rolling mixture.
8. Use a 1/2 tsp measuring spoon to measure out dough and roll into a ball.
9. Roll each ball in the cinnamon sugar mixture.
10. Bake on a greased cookie sheet in a 350 degree oven for 10 minutes. Do not crowd the cookies; they will spread!